This is the tail end of Acupuncture Awareness Week, and while most people are actually aware of acupuncture, they may not know why it’s such a good thing. Here’s a list of why you should like acupuncture, and even think about giving it a try:
1) Acupuncture is safe in the hands of properly trained practitioners. There are very few side effects associated with acupuncture and none of the risks, compared to prescription drug side-effects or the risks associated with surgery.
2) It’s cost effective. If you blow out your back, a trip to the doctor plus an X-Ray or MRI will cost you (or your insurance carrier) hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. In comparison, the handful of acupuncture treatments it will take to render you pain-free will cost you a a few hundred dollars.
3) It’s fast. The time-line for you and your sore back to get into your doctor, get an X-ray or MRI, schedule with a specialist or physical therapist is several weeks to a month or more. In contrast, during that time you could have had enough acupuncture sessions to deal with the pain. Problem solved.
4) It’s also slow. Acupuncture is slow and thoughtful medicine in that your practitioner typically spends 45 minutes to an hour with you, taking the time to understand your health concerns and developing an appropriate treatment for you.
5) Acupuncture is personalized. Your practitioner tailors their treatment for you and your unique health needs, whether it’s the selection of acupuncture points, an herbal formula, food recommendations, or at home care.
6) It’s calming. Acupuncture is effective in treating stress and emotional issues. In addition, sessions are so relaxing, most patients don’t want to leave!
7) Acupuncture is effective for a variety of health issues. For conditions from headaches to depression, arthritis, and infertility, researchers are documenting the effectiveness of acupuncture. In addition, it often helps brings relief for patients who have tried everything else.
8) You don’t need to be sick to have acupuncture. It’s a great form of preventative medicine, which many people use to stay well.
9) While acupuncture may feel “out there”, foreign, or like folk medicine to many Americans, roughly two billion people worldwide use acupuncture. Simply stated, it’s health care that’s cost-effective, safe, effective, and drug-free!